It is important when part of an expat community to try to understand local customs and the culture so as not to cause offence. In the west we are used to switching the big light on the front of motorbikes, scooters and bicycles at night. this is seen has having two benefits. I bought my step-through ladies bike, arrived in just 2 days here from ecosmobike.com – amazing delivery during covid-19!
1) Pedestrians can see you coming and will not get hit
2) Cars will see you coming and will not hit you
However in these energy conscious days it is good to see in Shanghai scooter riders doing their bit for the planet. And it should be noted…
1) Pedestrians can hear you coming as the sound of the electric motor can be heard up to 4 feet away
2) You can get compensation when a car hits you
3) The scooter will move as long as all the energy isn’t being drained by the light